Interior Department Orders National Park Service To Reconsider Hunting Regs In National Preserves In Alaska

Jul 21st - 23:18pm | Rick B.

Understood, Rebecca. Context and circumstances matter. My Buddhist wife never wanted to eat bear meat, feeling it was too sentient of a being. On the other hand, she asked me to train her in firearms so that she could defend herself if a bear tried to break into our home. Life is what happens while you're making other plans and we just do the best we can.

Jul 21st - 20:08pm | Rebecca Latson ...

I totally get that Rick B.  And I get the difference between responsible hunters and those not-so-responsible (which is what I think of the trophy-hunting kind out to get a head for their wall art). It's just that I don't particularly care much for those methods they want to allow.

Jul 21st - 19:07pm | Rick B.

Actually, Rebecca, a lot of my friends in Alaska consider hunted bear a primary protein source.Subsistence life in rural Alaska is a totally foreign life to city folk, just as congresscritters a foreign life form to the rest of us.

Jul 21st - 17:20pm | Rebecca Latson ...

"In fact, more than 70,000 Americans said ‘no’ to baiting bears with grease-soaked donuts in Denali. They said ‘no’ to sport hunters crawling into bears’ dens and using flashlights to wake and kill mother bears and their cubs on lands managed by the National Park Service,"

UPDATED: Price Of Senior Pass Going To $80; Buy It Now For $10

Jul 21st - 19:44pm | El alto/Ultimo

Why is there no list of "stores" with street addresses by state or county?  I don't think that I'd use $10 in gas to get there.  We don't all have six-figure pensions, at least those of us unfortunate enough to have never been employed as gov't bureaucrats.  Your friend Obama signed in that increase.

Saving The National Parks From Climate Change, And The Backlog, Too

Jul 21st - 19:00pm | Alfred Runte

"Of course people like to drive."

Jul 21st - 14:35pm | argalite

I disagree, and your argument does not make sense.  Of course people like to drive, I never said they didn't.  It was just that there was no good clean options at the time.  Now there is.  That is the difference.

Jul 21st - 11:38am | Alfred Runte

No, Argalite, the reason environmentalists never took on the car was because they liked driving, too. For example, how else would they carry their rafts to rivers, and their backpacking gear to Camp Four? In 1969, Santa Barbara millionairies protested the oil spill. Not one of them was driving a Volkswagon. All had a Mercedes Benz. "Get Oil Out" they shouted, while filling up their tanks.

Jul 21st - 11:15am | argalite

The reason environmentalists (people who care), never seriously took on the car was because technology was not what it is today.  We also had GM to contend with.  People tried to make electric cars, steam cars, and others, but they never took off, or were not efficient enough.  Now we have France saying they will not sell internal combustion engines, and Volvo saying they will qu

Jul 20th - 20:13pm | Richard Flint

Trains are not coming back, ever.

Acadia National Park Officials Debating How To Deal With Crowds

Jul 21st - 17:42pm | Omar Abdelghany

My family and I were just in Acadia 3 days ago, it was crowded but very manageable and we had a great time. The right lane parking worked out well, to me any restrictions on out of state visitors would be very unfair and are not needed.

Jul 21st - 14:46pm | Brent

Acadia could definitely use some more parking. For example, there are trailheads for major trails with parking for less than a quarter of people who want to use the trail on a busy day.  So then people end up parking wherever they can in non ideal spots.  The park itself, other than Cadillac Mountain doesn't seem overcrowded. Additional parking would be a great improvement.

Jul 20th - 21:12pm | Steve Nelson

This is amazing. When I visited Acadia in May 2008 visitors were about 2% of what we see here. It seems to me that there should be a national task force looking at this with reps from the parks that are most under stress from visitors. I think three things caused this: Good economy, cheap gas, and the Ken Burns series.

Jul 20th - 18:33pm | RickyAZ

where is this right to bar foreigners from the Parks found in the Constitution?  Good luck getting anyone with more than 2 weeks of legal training to enforce it

Jul 20th - 16:33pm | Megaera

I live an hour and a half from Paradise on Mt. Rainier, as do several hundred thousand other people.  When Rainier experienced the floods of 2006 that essentially closed the park for more than six months, I felt compelled to drive up to the Nisqually Entrance to take the ranger-led walk up the road to see some of the damage.

Jul 20th - 16:32pm | Acadia on my mind

We visited Acadia during the busy July 4 weekend, and while we don't live near the park, we know it well enough from our blogging and writing hiking guides, that we were able to avoid the traffic and crowds. Seems that locals would know how to avoid the crowds, as would park visitors who take the time to learn what to avoid, and when.

Jul 20th - 15:34pm | Steve W.

I think locals should get preference only if there is some reason to believe that they contribute less to crowding and ecological damage than someone from farther away.

Jul 20th - 14:12pm | Amber

I think if locals can get preference *on weekends* that could help? Vacationers are on vacation so should be able to come on a week day. Locals could be defined as anyone within about 100 miles? I've seen that some parks have instiuted parking reservations (Yosemite I think?). Locals should know about the hidden gems already so will hopefully go there instead of the more famous attractions?

Traveler's View: Psst! Our National Parks Are In Danger

Jul 21st - 17:11pm | ecbuck

Wrong, yes. Wrong about what?  What statement have I made that is "wrong".

Jul 21st - 17:01pm | argalite

Wrong, yes. What about the regs I mentioned that this administration has already messed with?  Lets use the examples I used, instead of yours.  How about another?  Okay lets talk about lead in bullets instead.  Mr. Zinke pulled the regs to stop using lead to protect carrion eating birds.  Not because he cares about birds, but money.  Not my priorities at all.

Jul 21st - 16:42pm | ecbuck

I'm wrong argalite?  Did regulations stop the Flint Michigan incident?  You must have a different news feed than I.   There is nothing wrong with "proper" regulation though I would bet our definition of what is propert would conflict.  In my mind, if a regulation provide little benefit relative to its cost it isn't proper.

Jul 21st - 16:11pm | argalite

Ecbuck is sorely wrong again.  Propbably on many but definitely about proper regulation does keep people safer, otherwise why bother?  Just like the Admin is rolling back the safeguards against Wall St., or increased safety to prevent another Deepwater oil spill, these things were made to increase safety.  Some prefer to live less safely so they can get more money, but that just

Yellowstone National Park Expands Human Footprint To Handle Crowds

Jul 20th - 22:45pm | Lee Dalton

Yes, Alfred, as Ed Abbey wrote, the park service always has money for more asphalt.

Jul 20th - 22:06pm | Rick B.

Leigh..   Your logic escapes me. Getting riid of the bus will just bring 60 cars instead of one bus.

Jul 20th - 19:40pm | James

Our family was there this Monday and it was quite an effort to park and get around. We entered the park at 9am and left at 8:30pm and that was the time needed to see the south loop. We had an amazing time but agree something needs to be done to preserve this beautiful place to its natural beauty.

Jul 20th - 19:21pm | Alfred Runte

Come on, Lee. No one in the Park Service is interested in "solutions." Meanwhile, more parking lots is all they know. They certainly don't remember the history of how they got into this mess in the first place.

Jul 20th - 17:57pm | Leigh

Get rid of the tour buses. This would free up parking and slow the volume of people traffic. When 60 people can show up at once in one vehicle it lleads to a bad experience for all.

Jul 20th - 12:39pm | Lee Dalton

This is a solution to a very serious problem.  Not at all a good solution, but perhaps the only one available in the face of crisis level crowding.  It is better than some other options I can think of, though. Have our parks ever faced a greater threat than they do now from overvisitation?

Echo Bay Resort at Lake Mead NRA has a New Concessioner and a New Name

Jul 20th - 15:51pm | Michael Reed

Seven Crown Resorts, who ran this for 38 years, went out of business because the owners kids ran it into the ground. Kinda sad, this used to be a great marina!

Secretary Zinke Draws Criticism For Appearance Before Anti-Federal Lands Group

Jul 20th - 13:46pm | Lee Dalton

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is one of the greatest threats to America anywhere.  But this is no surprise at all.

Analysis Of Comments Points To Overwhelming Support For National Monuments

Jul 20th - 12:57pm | Lee Dalton

The GOP is constantly yapping about a lot of things they want gullible people to believe while they work in the shadows.

Jul 20th - 10:19am | Susan Hayes-Tripp

The GOP is constantly yapping about being Pro-life, yet the legislation they write, support & pass proves otherwise. Their greedy agenda destroys everything/anything which keeps AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL.

For Sale: A Stunning Mansion Inside Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park

Jul 20th - 12:46pm | Lee Dalton

Are we sure there are only TWO such monstrosities within national parks in the US?  There is one in Zion and I believe I've heard of some others located on inholdings in other parks.  What about at Grand Teton?

Jul 20th - 11:18am | Rebecca Latson ...

Wow!  Ok, so now, I'm waiting for The Onion to write a story about subdivisions being built within our national parks. Depending upon where you work, the commute might not be so great, but for wealthy people who don't work or could telecommute, that might be just the ticket.  Jeesh, I've just scared myself.

Jul 20th - 08:12am | tahoma

Surely Secretary Zinke & Congress could scrape up a measly $5.5M for another getaway for overworked bureaucrats?  https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2015/10/inspector-general-national...

Zion National Park Considering Reservation System To Manage Crowds

Jul 20th - 10:38am | Kathy G

I am supportive of a reservation system. It is imperative so all can enjoy the park and protect resources.  I think there needs to be a balance btw tour company and individuals. While you are at it, I think non US  visitors shld be charged more than citizens.

Jul 19th - 17:06pm | RickyAZ

charge $15 like they do at Pike's Peak and regulate the numbers, issue solved!   Was up at Zion at end of Feb, beautiful, uncrowded but cold.  You make do.  No one has the right to vist X park on Y date and not expect a crowd if they insist on visiting on the 4th of July

Jul 19th - 14:14pm | Lee Dalton

Zion's not alone in this, as we all know.  Here's an article from the Fresno CA Bee regarding Yosemite's crowding. Perhaps articles like this one, that tell the truth about what's happening will have a dampening effect on visitation and may help a little.

Secretary Zinke Pledges To Open Public Lands To More Recreational Endeavors

Jul 19th - 23:47pm | Carolyn

Land grab

Jul 19th - 15:51pm | D

As usual, it's all about $money$ and to hell with all the non-human inhabitants of our planet

Jul 19th - 13:59pm | Lee Dalton

We dodged a bullet with President Cheney's boy Hoffman.  It took a real fight, though.  We have to be ready to fight again.

Jul 19th - 10:38am | Michael Kellett

All you have to do is look at the list of meeting participants to know what kind of "recreation" Secretary Zinke is talking about. They represent intensive, commercial, mostly motorized recreation and advocacy for increased privatization of our public lands. Now they have a president who is one of them, and these corporate interests are making the most of this opportunity.

While Parks Struggle With Unhealthy Ozone Levels, Congress, EPA Want To Delay Reductions

Jul 19th - 21:42pm | wild places

And just how much do the National Parks contribute to this problem? How many millions of miles do people drive to and through the parks in not only their cars but their gas guzzling motor homes, fifth wheels and trailers? Given the widespread overcrowding of the parks it's hardly surprising the air quality suffers. It's always good to look in the mirror once in a while.

Jul 19th - 16:49pm | argalite

Much better than the first statement

Jul 19th - 10:48am | ecbuck

When the EPA says 100 ppb is healthy, then moving from 75 to 70 ppb is nonconsequential.

Jul 19th - 10:35am | argalite

Your definition of nonconsquential, ecbuck I'm sure those with poor lung health would disagree with your definition. Don't forget all the other life that is affected by this decision

UPDATE: Woman Missing At Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Turns Up

Jul 19th - 19:34pm | wild places

A happy ending. She was found alive and well. http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/07/hiker_missing_f...

Traveler's View: If Secretary Zinke Was An Anthropologist, Would Bears Ears National Monument Be Safe?

Jul 19th - 18:35pm | y_p_w

Michael Kellett on July 18, 2017 - 1:32pm.

Jul 19th - 13:23pm | Cheryl White Hawk

Is it because Bears' Ears is a culturally important site that Trump wants Zinke to cut it up hense destrying it's significance or is it because Trump wants to access the fossil fuel beneath it ? Either way not keeping it intact would be a crime !

Mount Who? How Did This Famous Park Get Its Name?

Jul 19th - 11:00am | Candance Rushmore

Heidi- I had a Great Uncle named Charles Rushmore, from Michigan. Any chance we could be related?  I can be found on Facebook, AKA"Candi".  Contact me if you are interested.