With An Eye On Rebuilding Sperry Chalet, Structure Is Being Stabilized For Winter

Sep 16th - 12:10pm | Kurt Repanshek

James, thanks so much for your donation! It's greatly appreciated. And I'm sure the folks at the Glacier Conservancy will be thanking you as well.

Sep 16th - 07:35am | James Tapner

Come on America!!! This a national treasure!!! Please help the Glacier Park Conservancy with your donations.I have given my donation.Please help wiih whatever you can afford.At this time it's up to the people that really love our national parks to step up to help.Thank you!!

Here's A Look At Hurricane Irma's Impact On The National Park System

Sep 16th - 10:05am | R.Wolfe

I've never been to Fort Jefferson however from what I've read & my Mom was there not long ago seems like somewhere I'd like to visit, I'm hoping IRMA didn't do too much to it!

Sep 13th - 12:33pm | Aaron Clarke

PEr article posted on 9/12/17 by CBS North Carolina everyone at the park evacuated have yet to return. Given that the park servioce contracts with a private ferry sevice for access from Key West I'm sure it is a low priority until basic services return to the keys. Any park officals still in the keys I'm sure are putting their skills and talents to good use helping those that stayed.

Sep 12th - 12:59pm | Mary O'Reilly

Doesn't look like it can be good out there, and another one's on the way - tragic! https://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Sep 12th - 09:25am | Forch

Sep 12th - 08:10am | KIm

Yes, What about Dry Tortugas National Park?  I was just there in November.

Sep 12th - 00:08am | Anonymous

Yes please my husband and have camped her many times and its our second home. I hope its ok

Sep 11th - 19:01pm | Katie

I keep looking for information on it too.  I know that people are concerned about their own safety, but hopefully someone can fly or sail by and send a report.  I can't imagine anyone stayed on the island during the storm.

Sep 11th - 13:00pm | Jim Guy

I was thinking the exact same thing, it seems to me that the eye of Irma would pass RIGHT OVER the fort/park, and I was wondering if it could withstand that type of force...It would speak volumes about the engineering of the day I suppose...please post photos, and updates to Fort Jefferson as soon as you can when the danger passes...thank you

Sep 10th - 11:13am | Rita See

I've been to Fort Jeffeerson in the Dry Tortugas several years ago when my eldest daughter got married in Key West, as a side-trip. I love it.  I have been concerned about Fort Jefferson and potention damage from Hurricane Irma and wonder if the Fort was damaged in any way.  I would hate to see the Fort damaged, and am wondering if it suffered damage from Hurricane Irma?

Hurricane Irma Thrashed Virgin Islands National Park

Sep 16th - 09:18am | Suzy Tripp

I lived on St. Croix during Hugo......which is why I moved back to my native state of CA!!   Hugo was HORRIFIC & MISERABLE x's 100! Everyone put their money where their mouths are!  Funding has been greatly slashed for our National Parks!  Our Nat'l Parks & AUDUBON has & will be getting relief monies from my husband & I.

Sep 12th - 21:34pm | Father Tom Rainforth

I helped out after Hurricane Hugo.  I'm tring to see how my friend Thomas Kelley who is a Marine-Biologist at the National Park is doing and his home and his wife. Also let me know how Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church Father Anthony and the Secretary Somiaia. my e-mail is [email protected] and my cell is 973.477.7548. Praying for all.

New Online Venue For Purchase Of Senior Pass To National Parks

Sep 15th - 21:19pm | Anne Reilly

My husband and I each applied on-line for the senior parks pass, at the beginning of summer and still have not received them, more than 12 weeks later.

Sep 15th - 15:44pm | CONNIE SHAW

How long does it take to receive confirmation?  I sent mine, postmarked August 26th, and mailed it on that day.  To date, I have not received confirmation.

Buffalo National River Rangers Shoot And Kill Man, Investigation Under Way

Sep 15th - 21:14pm | Lee Dalton

So by that logic, we need to disarm police officers? Hmmmm. America today ain't the America we all knew just a few years ago.  Have you seen what the NRA is preaching these days?

Sep 15th - 16:37pm | Rick B.

And to think of the large number of female LE rangers I know considering their weapon as essential to their "manhood" simply means that you've never met them, Mr Scott. Congratulations on leaving the ranks of rangers.

Sep 15th - 15:56pm | Rangerskip

So guns on Rangers is not good because you stand a better chance of talking to a person with a weapon in their hand if you are unarmed? That is very naive thinking on your part. It removes the ability of the ranger to practice self defense. What if the violator is holding a hostage or is a threat to other campers? And talking about the weather to the armed individual? You can't be serious.

Fund Up And Running To Help Storm-Battered National Park Service Employees

Sep 15th - 16:33pm | Rick B.

Thanks for posting this, Kurt.

Rebuilding Virgin Islands National Park After Hurricane Irma Won't Happen Overnight

Sep 15th - 12:56pm | David Crowl

I visited the Virgin Islands NP last year as an excursion while on a cruise. It was a great tour with a guide. We also swam and snorkled in Trunk Bay. While it wasn't the best day of snorkling because it was windy and the sand was churned up, it was a beatiful place. I am sure it will bounce back over time.

Sep 14th - 19:03pm | Gary Wilson

I definitely feel the pain of all the Park Service employees and all the islanders that had to go through such an event and can comprehend the challenges they face.  There are days where I still feel shellshocked from the wildfire event that occurred in the Great Smoky Mountain region around Gatlinburg just last year.  It's a long road...

Where Do You Draw The Line On Erasing History In The National Park System?

Sep 15th - 11:40am | Dan Gold

It is my understanding that historically, many Nativie American tribes, as part of their accepted culture, would raid neighboring tribes enslaving captives. But, I'm not going to tout destroying their culture today nor discriminating against them due to perceived faults of tribal ancestors.

Reactions To Yellowstone Supervolcano Study Ranged From Hysteria To Ho-Hum

Sep 15th - 01:43am | tomp2

Lee-- Are you talking about this one plus aftershocks: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000aekg#executive

Sep 14th - 11:40am | Lee Dalton

After experiencing a swarm of about 75 small earthquakes on the Utah - Idaho border, the conspiracy websites are going nuts.  Maybe if the website producers would look at seismograms instead of spectrograms, they'd have a better understanding of the whole situation.  But conspiracies are a lot more fun than trying to learn the facts.

Sep 14th - 09:41am | Jesse

Maybe if USGS and (especially) the University UTAH were accurately reporting all the earthquakes and had decent spectograms for the public there would be more trust. A lot of data gets erased and ommited when it somes to tilt meters, seismograms, gas charts.

Interior Secretary Says Contractors, If Needed, Should Help Reduce Fuel Loads On Public Lands

Sep 14th - 21:36pm | Gary Wilson

The smokey the bear approach has been a horrible concept from day one.  Forests will have wild fires and that's a component of the ecosystem.  There are many species that need fire to propegate so when you remove fire from an ecosystem you set the stage for what we see today - dense overgrown stands and diseased trees..  If you want "healthy forests" then they burn on occasion.

Sep 13th - 18:27pm | Lee Dalton

Right Smokies.  It needs to be done, but how and by whom? It's America's GOP brand of socialism.  Socialize expense, privatize profits. We need SCIENTIFIC management, but right now we have an administration that doesn't believe in science.

Sep 13th - 18:08pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Does anyone really believe that this has anything to do with the health or safety of the forest and its users?  When a Trumpite proposes a solution that involves outsourcing, then start looking at the contractor wheels cranking up to exploit these public lands for private gain.  Again.

Sep 13th - 12:05pm | Lee Dalton

Agreed.  This makes sense and is long overdue. But now we have to ask Congress -- where will the money come from -- regardless of whether it's contractors or government agencies doing the work?

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Sep 14th - 13:33pm | Lynette Truitt

I purchased a senior pass 7/29.  I printed my temporaty pass but have misplaced it & I/m leaving on a trip next week.  I have not recieved my card yet & wonder if there is a way I can print my pass again?

Virgin Islands National Park, Before And After Hurricane Irma

Sep 13th - 23:34pm | janes

This is so heartbreaking for the people of BVI and their beautiful country. Hoping they find the will and resources to rebuild.

Sep 13th - 14:25pm | Rick B.

So sad. Forty years now since I visited there but, foolishly, I've always thought oif it as a pristine place of beauty that would always be there.

Sep 13th - 13:00pm | justinh

One of my favorite parks!  Trials of the Anthropocene.

19th Century Military Saber Training Course At Fort Vancouver National Historic Site

Sep 13th - 18:51pm | Patrick

They appear to be fencing sabres - used for the modern version of the competitive sport (non-electrified).

Sep 10th - 09:28am | Jonathan Dembo

i hate to tell you this but the swords pictured in the article are not sabers.  They are dueling swords, probably an epee.  Sabers have flat edges and are used to cut and slash at the enemy while riding horseback.  Dueling swords are rounded and are used to deflect or parry thrusts front an opponent.  They have a sharp point for stabbing the enemy.

Photography In The National Parks: An Armchair Photography Guide To Mount Rainier National Park – Part 1: Sunrise

Sep 13th - 12:01pm | Rick B.

Just incredibly beautiful images of our Pacific Northwest wonder. Your skill at capturing them truly humbles a guy like me with a cell phone camera and absolute beginner's skills.

Sep 13th - 06:27am | Rebecca Latson ...

Thanks, Lee.  You are too kind.

Sep 12th - 13:17pm | Lee Dalton

Ah, you've done it again, Rebecca. Give us wannabe photographers something to try for.

Time For New Uniforms For The National Park Service?

Sep 13th - 09:38am | tahoma

Perhaps better choices are already available, but during my career, the polyester NPS uniform seemed scientifically designed to admit all environmental moisture while simultaneously retaining perspiration.  Trail crews were required to wear uniforms, but they were usually left in the truck at the trailhead after the morning costume party at Hindquarters.   Pacific Northwest weather can be chall

Fire Claims Historic Sperry Chalet In Glacier National Park

Sep 12th - 21:05pm | Dawn Rauch

i have stay there at least 5 times . It saddens with tears . Alll the great memories I have of the chatlet .

Sep 9th - 20:03pm | Lee McDonald

My wife and I are espcially sorry to see this loss. We stayed there last September and loved it. I do hope it is rebuilt in the same way it was. What a sad loss.

NRA Official Lands Seat On National Park Foundation Board

Sep 12th - 16:13pm | Lee Dalton

Creature Feature: The Banana Slug is Living Proof that a Slimy Little Gastropod Mollusk Can be Loaded with Charisma

Sep 12th - 12:34pm | Brandi

Do slugs have partners (mates)? I accidently stepped on one that lives around my porch and I am wondering if I killed the mate of the second slug that lives around my porch?

As Hurricane Irma Roars Across Florida, Recovery Continues At Virgin Islands National Park

Sep 12th - 07:45am | Kurt Repanshek

As soon as we hear we'll pass on news of Fort Jefferson and the other park units. The NPS has been waiting for the storm to pass before sending teams to the areas hit by Irma. We're hoping for more news today.

Sep 11th - 23:54pm | Any news or pho...

We all know there are bigger priorities, but the fort is such a historic place, that many of us are waiting with bated breath for news of its survival - or otherwise...

National Park Units Bracing For Hurricane Irma

Sep 11th - 08:39am | Janny Betz-Dillon

Did anyone stay at Dry Tortugas during Irma? How did island weather it out?

Overton Beach Area Latest Casualty of Low Water Level at Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Sep 10th - 14:46pm | Chuck

It's a shame they closed the road to Overton bay.  That was our favorite hiking spot!  Now we can't even drive their because bureaucracy fears humans will destroy what's not there.  I hate when Gov. shuts down roads and access because they feel they know what's best for us.  As if were just stupid humans.

Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About Dry Tortugas National Park

Sep 9th - 14:56pm | Richard Sloan

Sure hope Ft. Jefferson fares well after Irma!

Filmmakers Illustrate What's At Risk With Mine Road Proposed To Cross Gates Of Arctic National Park

Sep 9th - 08:42am | tahoma

This destructive project is only part of a larger arctic road -building scheme that the state of Alaska hopes the rest of us will pay for:   https://www.ktoo.org/2017/09/07/alaska-hatches-plan-vast-road-network-ac...

UPDATE II: Virgin Islands National Park Reeling In Wake Of Hurricane Irma, Emergency Aid En Route

Sep 8th - 22:19pm | John Puleo

Praying for you all! Hope help comes soon.